Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Whatta move!

Whew, this has been a tough move. Picking up and leaving behind your beloved old blogspot is a not for the weak of heart. First you have to make the decision that is best for your family. Do you stay in the small town with your last name on the mailbox, where everyone knows all your bidness and drops in whenever or do you move to the gated community where you need a password to gain access thereby controlling who visits you? I didn't want to go to the gated community nor did I ever consider it, so I opted for something in-between. I dropped the name on my mailbox and moved to "the blogger burbs." A place where you can stay anonymous for the most part but still hang with your homies. After making the decision, I had to find a new place in the blogger burbs and hope that there wasn't someone living in it. That proved to be a tad difficult. I tried to move to "thisisthelife.blogspot.com" but some pimply faced, squeaky voiced (well I'm not certain, but I am imagining he is) teenage boy owns it. He appears to have only lived there briefly. This is what he left behind: And I quote (well, actually, copied and pasted):

...Well, today I signed up for blogger. I got tired of diaryland so fast, and scribble got boring. So, we're gonna try this for a while. Hope it all works out. I havent wrote in my online journals in a long time. School started a few days ago. It's ok. I hate my italian teacher though. Yuck. Atleast me and Chris are in the same class. Chris is my good buddy. What a man, what a man, what a mighty strong man. I'm tired. "The sea is foamin' like a bottle of beer. The wave is comin but I ain't gonna fear. I'm waxin' down so that I'll go real fast. I'm waxin' down because it's really a blast. I'm goin' surfin cuz I don't like your face. I'm bailin' out because I hate the race of rats that run round and round in the maze. I'm goin' surfin', I'm goin' surfin'!" - Weezer

That's deep stuff folks. To answer him, it looks like blogger didn't work out for him because he "havent wrote" or posted in almost EIGHT YEARS. It's been so long that that his friend Chris who he claims is "a great man" was probably his "best man" and now has kids of his own quoting Weezer. Give it up already, will ya, whatever your name is. I wanted to put in an offer to take it off his hands, but it appears he hasn't lived there since September 2000. And it looks like he only lived there for, ummm let's see, one stinkin' day. Eight years ago! I asked Blogger to evict him, but they couldn't. Nope. Can't do it until he decides to relinquish it. So irritating. After that, I had to check with the real estate agent for another address and happened upon this really neat place called "thisisthelife-dmn.blogspot.com." I "settled" last Friday. And since you are reading this, that means you received the "change of address" notice. It appears that many of my "old friends" and even some "new friends" have found me. That was the one thing I was worried about. But leaving a forwarding address at the old "spot" seems to have worked so far. I have had lots of visitors stop by today for a diet coke with lemon and say "Hi." Well, no one has really said "Hi." They've just done drive byes. (Is that how you spell it?) A couple of people have stopped by the old place only to find it vacant. I did leave the electricity on so that I could see how much usage there is, but I gotta admit it's a little lonely over there right now.

Now that I've moved in, you'll have to pardon the dust. I am doing a little re-decorating. I like things tidy and pulled together and that sidebar has been bugging me. So I contacted my fairy blogmother, Darcy, who squeezed me in between jobs, (shhhh, don't tell) and is designing me some fantastic new closet space for all the crap lovely things that are stored over there. I have to do some purging, but it will look so purdee when it's done. That fairy blogmother of mine really does make dreams come true.

So it's time to update your address books, your blackberries, your strawberries, your whatever-berries you use to link your bloggy friends with my new address. What's that you say? You've never linked me? Well what are you waiting for? I'll link you...if you just tell me who you are!

post signature

25 Comments:

Melissa Lester said...

I like your new place! While you're still unpacking, I'm going to add you to my sidebar. Maybe you'll want to add me to yours too! I hope you'll find lots of new friends in your new neighborhood!

Lula! said...

Darcy may be your fairy blogmother, but YOU are MY Fairy Blogmother, always and forever.

And you are purdee, too...with a southern accent and all. And hello, Debbie--why are we up at 1 am??? Yeah, I think it's time to call it a night. You first.

Unknown said...

I just keep wondering if the -dmn...is for ...damn...someone took my name...

Heather said...

I found you, I found you!! Actually, it wasn't hard at all. Your forwarding address worked like a charm. Evi is cracking me up!

Okay, I'm all updated and re-linked. We're good to go!!

Unknown said...

I found you AND linked you. Man, do you think you could find out how to get a hold of Weezer? I want that boy's number! You are really convicting me about my sidebar, Debbie, that I haven't updated in more than a year. It has spider webs. I gotta purge, but when I have free time, that's the last thing I wanna do. (I know, cry me a river)

Hope you have a great day!!!!!

Love ya! Sniz

Piggy said...

What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?









DAM! :D

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love all the buttons Darcy made for you. I got back in her queue again for the same thing...plus a more distinctive divider between posts.

That other blog was started 8 years ago?! I didn't know that anyone was blogging 8 years ago...

Gina said...

Why is easier to stop someone's real mail than to throw them out of a cyber mail box?!
I like your new P.O. Box in the 'burbs. Now get back to 12 steppin' it.

Kimba said...

Found you! No problem!

Skeller said...

Hi. (no drive by ;-)
Welcome to your new home ... love the colors and Darcy's fab sidebar graphics!

Jennifer P. said...

It seems your was an effortless move. I bet you found lots of boxes on Craigs List.

I want to join you in this more anonymous bloggy suburb--but my move is gonna be messy. REAL messy. Blog name, my name, kids names. Like the witness protection program. *sigh*

Cindy said...

Because this is all new to me, is the move because you are now trying not to use names and personal information? My family's blog is that way, I was thinking about starting my own personal blog - so it should be anonymous?

Julie said...

Hey Debbie, I love what Darcy did, she is a star! Really fun.

I am a bit confused about the move, if you post your new address on your old one, won't everyone just come over here? I guess I don't understand. I am happy though that I still get to read your blog!
jules

Connie said...

welcome to the new neighborhood! love what you've done to the place!
...already changed you on my sidebar!

katylinvw said...

i really like your new layout! i hadn't linked you before now (i just found you last week :>) but you're going on my blogroll today! - thanks for the change of address notification!

Runner Girl said...

Glad to see you landed and are back! Still scary though...gated community and all!

Anonymous said...

Loving the new look to the right here. Cute signs!! I'm updating your blog URL right now. :) ~Jill

Insane Mama said...

I'm adding you too you are funny, I am so glad you didn't go to the gated community, because I don't think I can remember another password

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

oh my good heavens on earth (erf, actually), as my 4 year-old would say. i laughed my tail off.

you rawk! And I had to wonder about that -dmn, too.

Blessings,
~Karin

Laura said...

My. Just got acquainted and now you move on me ;) Thankfully, you were easy to follow.
BTW, I love your writing. Makes me chuckle. This was a fun post to read - and it was just about a change of address. How creaative are you??!!

Tiffany said...

Please tell me that he DID not quote an En Vogue song. I would venture to say that Chris wasn't his best man, he was the "The Man". As in Heather's dog.

Anyhoo, LOVE this post, you are so creative. I think me, you and Kathy doing it all at once threw our bloggy circle for a loop, but they are recovering well.

Kat said...

I just now linked you. Thanks for coming by again yesterday. I look forward to your discontentment post!
~Kat

Shanan Strange said...

I'm so glad I found you! Thanks for stopping by yesterday. I love your new casa.

KatBouska said...

Oh man, I just moved too and it was TOUGH. I had a couple minor panic attacks when I realized my blog rolls was lost in the move. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but I feel much better now that my last name is gone. Those who truly love me will find me again...

Tracey said...

I thought you hated the word crap. It's one of my favorites because I can use it without feeling too vulgar.