Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day! A day like no other, or is it?

Ah, Mother's Day! A day to sleep in as I did. A day to be showered with gifts as I was (an MP3 player and a wireless photosmart printer, scanner copier and beautiful handmade cards from my kids. Yes, I am spoiled rotten. And, yes, I love it.) A day for a Super Big Gulp Diet Coke with lemon served to me along with breakfast in bed and my two kids next to me begging to watch Higglytown Heroes. A day for my husband to ask what I want for a special dinner while my daughter predictably announces "No, I don't want to grill steaks." To which I reply, "I don't care. I do." A day for which I chat on the phone with my sister while my kid's tickles and giggles escalate into screams and yells resulting in the repeat after me "Please, stop it, I'm on the phone. Please, stop it. I'm on the phone." A day for me to send my kids to their rooms to play together so I can have a moment of peace and quiet while looking at paint swatches. A day for me to listen to them fuss with each other in their rooms while they tackle for possession over the same stinkin library book, while the other 10 books yell, "read me, read me." A day for me to put them in not one but two time outs. A day for them to leave time out and give me one of "those" kisses where they use their entire face against my cheek to say "I'm sorry." A day for me to listen to them fight over the blue plastic science beaker that has been sitting in the basement forever forgotten and untouched until The Prince figured out how to do some cool experiments and now The Princess wants to play with it. A day for me to put them in time out within 10 minutes of their first time out for an undetermined amount of time so that I can read my book, or blog guilt free on my laptop, from my throne, sipping my diet coke with lemon while my husband does the grocery shopping.

Ah, yes Mother's Day is like any other day when you have kids. Only, I get to do what I want to do and not feel guilty about it. I hope you do, too. Have a wonderful day all you mama's, mama's to be, and mama's in waiting!


post signature

12 Comments:

Connie said...

Ah...the days of young kids. Savor the moments. They truly go way too fast. Enjoy your day of having a little "me time". You deserve it.
Thanks for being so encouraging, Debbie. I really appreciate it.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Sounds like a typical day at my house. The difference today? My husband took the kids with him to the grocery store...so I truly had blissful silence. I'll be thinking about you as dh grills steaks later today for me, too. :-)

Runner Girl said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too, Debbie. My kids got me a great present and they haven't been fighting at all. (Maybe that's because they are all spending the night at Grandma's house? You think?) Don't hate me because my house is quiet right now.

Snizzers

Tiffany said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Yep, a great Mother's Day indeed. Along with all the fighting and time outs, I love being a mom. And I got a cool printer for my gift too. What fun!

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day. I had just one of my four with me this year (strange indeed...and quiet) but atleast I got to spend the day with MY mommy and my Oma. Nice day.

Gina said...

Ooh, Debbie, I just came home and checked my comments. It felt like Christmas as I opened the comments from each post! Thank you. How many times did you have to go potty today? That's my question. I get to go put the garbage out now. I'm not really sure how that became my job, but since Honey enjoys putting the kids to bed, I will put out the garbage and try not to complain- too much.

Piggy said...

Happy Mother's Day! Claudia :)

Jennifer P. said...

Sounds like great fun! Mother's jobs are never done--even on Mother's Day! Glad you had a good one.

Debbie said...

Happy Mom's day to all of you ladies, too! Gina, I didn't get the potty comment at first until I realized you were talking about my consuming the super big gulp. And Piggy/Claudia, do I know you because I seriously know three Claudia's. If I don't, "Welcome!" and thanks for stopping by! I love new friends. And if I do know you, which one of them are you?

Kathi said...

Oh yes, it's the one day, but I still feel the guilt. The Big Gulp comment was funny. Kathi