Friday, May 16, 2008

Are you smarter than a 5th Grader Friday

I really intended to post last night. And I wanted to post something really funny that happened to me the day before. But, I had alot of problems with blogger or internet explorer and was unable to do some things. I even accidentally deleted my list of blog links. WAAAAA! So now I have to re-build that sometime over the weekend. Warning: please don't be offended if I forget to link you back up. That list was getting long, and I need to go and find all the URL's that I have bookmarked. But you really didn't tune in to hear all that.

Again, I am short on time, so I will post my funny story later. Since it is Friday, I will post a quick brainteaser that my father-in-law sent me. I'm told this is a 5th-grade math problem. The answer is actually the password to open an excel spreadsheet that has a list of people who have solved it. The idea is to then forward it on. (I am not an email forwarder so I'm not asking you to do that.) I wasn't able to attach the spreadsheet to this post. Just leave me a comment that you want to take a guess, click on the email link on my sidebar, and I'll forward the spreadsheet to you. I haven't attempted it yet, so I am going to play along as well. I don't think I left out any pertinent details...oh gosh I hope I don't mess this one up, too. If you don't want to play, I won't be offended.


Read the problem carefully. It is recommended you use a calculator.

This is not a trick question. It's a real math problem. Read the problem carefully. See how many times it takes you to get it solved.

Here's the problem :

There are 7 girls in a bus.

Each girl has 7 backpacks.

In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.

For every big cat there are 7 little cats.

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

DON'T COUNT THE BUS DRIVER!

post signature

8 Comments:

Unknown said...

For some reason MY computer won't let me e-mail you so I posted my answer on my last comment over at my house. Could you check it out over there?

Gina said...

My answer totally doesn't match with evi. Now I'm dying to know which one of us, if either, is right.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I have opened that spread sheet. I managed to do the math...but am not savvy enough to figure out how to add my name to an excel spreadsheet and then forward it on. I'm a paradox like that.

Lula! said...

OK...this can go a couple of ways. You said it's not a trick, so I'm assuming there's more than 14 legs. I'll e-mail you my figure & you can let me know. For the record, I have dyscalcula. Which means I am a math idiot. No foolin'. Could never be a CPA like some people we all know and love!
p.s. "Oh the wonderful cross, oh the wonderful cross...bids me come and die and find that I may truly live..."
LOVE LOVE LOVE this song muchly.

Anonymous said...

Today I can officially say I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader when it comes to math. I've done this one 3 times with 3 different answers. Can't wait to find out the real answer.

Debbie said...

Evi and Gina, one of you IS correct. I will let you know later. I did figure out the answer on the second try.

Lula, I am in the process of responding to your other email. I haven't forgotten and do have some wisdom to impart on you as your "elder." Thanks for reminding me of that ;)

Elena...use excel. That's what I did and it was much easier.

Kat...how did I know that you already did this? Smarty pants.

Heather said...

I'm the kid in the back of the class trying to make myself invisible because I don't even know where to begin multiplying here.

Tiffany said...

I am SO with Heather. So I'll just try to look really cute, flip my hair and giggle.