Sunday, March 2, 2008

at first it looked like trash

One of the most maddening, you-are-going-to-put-me-in-the-funny-farm things to me is picking up the jillions of scrap pieces of paper that my kids leave around the house. They have either been scribbled on, or cut, or are an example of origami gone bad. Kyle sleeps with his pieces of paper. Lindsey leaves them all over her desk, and the floor, and her drawers...you get the idea. Most of the time I don't even look to see what was written on them, but for some reason early last week, one of her pieces of paper caught my attention and this is what I found lying on her desk:


I immediately began to well up in tears as her little scribbles were so poetic and heartfelt for someone so young. Look at her use of the word "son." I asked her what it was, and she told me it was a song she was writing. She said "I want to be a Christian singer and that is my first song." Stunned is the only way I can describe how I felt. She is seven years old with a heart for the Lord who already understands what it means to worship. If you have read my blog for any length of time, you know this child gets it. She just gets it. I can barely type this without tears streaming down my face grateful that our Heavenly Father has touched this child's heart so early in her life. There is nothing else for me to say other than be careful what you throw away. What you think might be trash, just might be the beginning of a masterpiece.

post signature

11 Comments:

Tracey said...

What a treasure! I often pray that the Lord would allow Noah to come to know Him at a young age. I am so excited to hear this has been the case with Lindsey.

Unknown said...

Wow, Debbie! I came over to visit after you left a sweet comment on my blog and got sucked in to spending way too much time reading your archives. Love your style. You and I have a lot in common, girl. It even looks like our families had the flu at the same time too! Nice to "meet" you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindsay could def be a worship singer ! No doubt. Who does she get that from, hhhmmm, i wonder. Holly F.

Runner Girl said...

You are blessed!

Kelly said...

That is the BEST!!!! Gosh if I have tears, oh man I cannot even imagine how you must have felt!!!
That is a moment that you can hardly describe in words you know?

Kelly

Julie said...

that is so precious!!! It is something to scrapbook... not sure if you do it, but you could always just put her stuff in a binder... thanks for sharing, that was so encouraging to read!

Jennifer said...

WOW WOW WOW, that moment is a blessing to you directly from God. His way of thanking you for serving your family in the mundane, like picking up after our kids ALL day.

Jennifer

ps, sorry i haven't posted before, will try to be better, and I love the new look. hope you guys are feeling better soon.

Debbie said...

Ya know Jennifer. I have never thought about it that way. But you are EXACTLY right. Wow. Thanks for stopping by...and I love your family pic!

The Nester said...

Yes, you will have to keep that forEVER! what a sweet addition to your day!

Katie said...

Wow! That is so touching and powerful...from anyone, but ESPECIALLY from a child. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

"Out of the mouth of babes..." We too need to have the heart of a child to see the Lord.

Lindsey's song is so precious as are she and Kyle.

Love Mom, GrandmaKay