Sunday, March 30, 2008

Help Fund Free Mammies

All of you at one point or another have been asked to go to the Breast Cancer Site to click on a button that when counted will provide free mammograms. Well, I recently learned that there is a button that you can add to your blog as a daily reminder to click on it. I have added it to my site, and here's why. One of my best childhood friends is battling breast cancer as we speak and is currently undergoing chemo. It has been heart wrenching to follow her story. But not only is she a fighter, she is a doctor, an OB/GYN at that. As you can imagine, that has been both a blessing and a curse because she understands all the medical aspects and can help determine her course of treatment, but she doesn't like being the patient. (Doctors aren't supposed to get sick are they?) Through all the ups and downs, she is doing extraordinarily well both physically and mentally.

The following post is one I pulled out of my archives from the day I found out she was sick. I apologize to those of you have been readers for awhile and have already read it, but I felt I needed to pull it out today in her honor as I put the button on my page. I ask that each of you click on it daily so that free mammograms can be provided to anyone who needs it. Here's to saving lives and ultimately finding "The Cure."


From November 13, 2007:

Sucker Punch....

Do you know what that is?...it's getting hit in the stomach when you aren't expecting it.

Today, while I was running some errands, my thoughts turned to when I first moved to Northern Virginia, in 1977, at the beginning of ninth grade. Sometimes it seems like yesterday, yet it really was an eternity ago for me. I started thinking about my first snowstorms after living in San Antonio, Texas and Honolulu, Hawaii prior to moving here. I remembered the first time we got out of school for a whole week during the President's Day Blizzard in 1979. All my best friend at that time, Kirsten, and I did was play in the snow, sled, eat popcorn, and probably watch "All My Children". I was reminiscing about eating tomato soup and grilled cheese at her house during that storm...then my thoughts turned to what she was doing today...she had been living in Seattle for the last 10 years or so working as an OB/GYN with her husband who is a yacht broker and their five year old son...this past summer they left their jobs, sold their home, and set sail on their boat for a two year sailing excursion around the world. They started their once in a lifetime, if that, adventure in Newport, Rhode Island and set up a website so that friends and family could follow them on their journey, but I hadn't checked in lately. Note to self: "check Kirsten's website when you get home." Because I hadn't exchanged emails with her since the beginning of September, I wasn't sure where she was but remembered that they were headed down the east coast to the Bahamas at some point. So I got home from picking up Kyle from school, ate some tomato soup (my memories made me hungry for it) and then checked email. Wow, I had a message from Kirsten...that's so freaky...Wonder if she is in paradise? No, it was actually a message from her husband on her behalf letting us know about the "Cancer Update Site." What, where, who has cancer? At that very moment, my childhoold friend was literally in an operating room in Virginia Beach having cancer removed from her right breast, having her ovaries removed, having a double mastectomy,and finding out her lymph nodes had cancer cells....all in one day. Uh, that is far from paradise. I felt like I had been "sucker punched"....as it turns out, she did too. She found a lump in her breast at the end of September, and while in Annapolis, she was able to see a doctor, get referrals, biopsies, tests etc through colleagues of hers...the ultimate caregiver who has delivered many babies and held the hands of other women in her position was now in need of care. Wow. It is too close to home. I just kept thinking about God's providence in all of this...she is in Virginia Beach where her sister and father live...not across the country away from family...her son is being well cared for and there are literally hundreds of people praying for her...including this old friend...


If you haven't done so already, please go to the button on my sidebar and click it. I appreciate it, Kirsten appreciates it and so do many millions of women.



post signature

11 Comments:

Jennifer P. said...

Such a touching post. My mom battled breast cancer and won for 5 years until it came back and was everywhere. She was brave in her fight though, as I know most amazing women who battle this are. I'm running the Komen Race for the Cure here in May, and look for any way I can to make sure women are aware and stay healthy.

All my best to your friend and you.

Trish said...

Wow, thank you for sharing!
My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago, at the age of 32! She is a survivor in all sense of the words. I look at her cancer as a gift that brought us closer together. I will daily click on the mammy button because a mammogram saved the life of my dearest friend, my sister Kris.

Trish said...

PS. It looks like we will be headed to Sonic this week....I'll have that Route 44 for you, but if I drink soda I go for the full sugar, no diet stuff here!
Thanks for your input......you should go read the comment my friend Meagan left right after yours. The two of you convinced me!

Julie said...

I remember that post that you wrote a while back. Thanks for sharing!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

My mom had breast cancer two years ago...but they caught it really early. So early that when they went to do the lumpectomy, they had to do SEVEN mammograms to find the lump again!

On a completely different note...my daughter and I saw your comment on Darcy's site...and Katie (ie, Sugar) was thrilled that she has inspired your daughter to blog. She is doing a happy dance and proclaiming herself famous. Of course...it's been two weeks since she has updated. Need to put that on her to do list!

Runner Girl said...

Wow, Debbie~ That is a quite a sucker punch. I'll be praying. K

Unknown said...

I used to hear the phrase "At least I have my health," or the first thing people would ask about a new baby is "Is it healthy?" and wonder what all the fuss was about. Health was just something I took for granted. There were lots more important things to be thankful for and to wish for. But the older I get, the more and more I think health is one of the most important things there is. What else can rearrange plans for the future like health? And if you're the one who is sick, no matter what you want to do, you are helpless to do other things, like go to the hospital. Am I making any sense?

ohhollyf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ohhollyf said...

Oh Debbie, my Mom has been a breast cancer surivor for a year, now. Thanks for bringing this awareness, Holly

Kelly said...

Will keep her in my prayers, PROMISE to!!!!! And I am going to put a link to that button on my blog also! thanks for sharing.....


Kelly

Rose of Sharon said...

I came over from Kelly's @ Serenity Cottage. I am so sorry to hear about your dear friend. I clicked on the button. Thank you for your story.

Gentle hugs, Sharon