Tuesday, October 16, 2007

the tooth fairy

oh boy did Bob and I goof up...well actually the tooth fairy goofed up. Two nights ago Lindsey pulled out a tooth that had been hanging at a 45 degree angle in her mouth for a month. She has refused to pull it out or to let us (well, Bob that is, because I don't do teeth) pull it out either. On Monday night, it started bleeding so it had to come out. After the "surgery" she put the tooth in her glow-in-the-dark tooth shaped box and put it under her pillow...in addition, she wrote a note to the tooth fairy asking her to write back...fine, all set. Well, morning arrives, Bob is off to the gym, and I realize that the tooth fairy has not paid Lindsey a visit yet. At this point I have to wake her in about ten minutes, so I grabbed the only thing in my wallet which was a $5 bill (I seriously thought about going into her wallet to get a one dollar bill instead) slid it under her pillow, and took the glow-in-the dark-tooth-box and the note. Now at this point the money is supposed to go into the box along with the note from the tooth fairy...that wasn't happening at that moment.I didn't have time. So I just left her room and dumped the evidence in my drawer. She woke up five minutes later and didn't care that she scored five bucks, all she could say is that "the tooth fairy took my tooth box and didn't write a note"...waaaaaaa.! Seriously, she cried. I had no explanation for her...I was just baffled that this extremely smart little girl was crying over this. It was almost comical...When she told Bob about it later, he was quick on his feet to explain that Kyle had woken in the middle of the night with a bad dream (which was true) and that the tooth fairy probably heard us getting up to tend him so she didn't want to get caught leaving. A look of complete relief and awe came over her face.."yeah, you're right Daddy." Whew...dodged that one...So, last night she made sure to leave another note for the tooth fairy along with a blank piece of paper...alas, the tooth fairy left a nice note (I write very well with my left hand) explaining that she was in fact in a rush and accidentally took everything but the money. She was totally happy and excited about the note...she could care less about the money....gee, wonder if I can get my money back...so the drama is over and the sham continues....

And hey, what's with tooth fairy inflation...kids these days (well mine does) think a dollar is nothing...the most I ever got was a quarter ...oh and I also had to get up to change one of the three TV channels we accessed via rabbit ears and use a phone that was rotary and always plugged into the wall....but I digress...that is my version of my mother telling me she had to walk a mile to school barefoot in the snow and get up at dawn to milk the cows and feed the chickens...;)

2 Comments:

veronica said...

Hey we have had the same issue with the tooth fairy! We have many times forgotten and put it inside the pillow case after they have gotten up and told them to check inside their pillow case because maybe she stuck it in there. I can't believe they are still falling for that! I am not sure if Meghan still believes or if she just wants the money. Keep up those little white lies. I think it keeps us young! You better hope that Lindsay doesn't read your blog somewhere. Then you are really in trouble!

Debbie said...

Oh I like the "look inside the pillowcase trick"... we will keep up this and the Santa sham for as long as we can...it is way too much fun trying to outwit them when they are so eager to believe in something so illogical...I did think about Lindsey taking a peek at my blog, but she hasn't been too interested in it for a long while...I hope it stays that way!