Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Let me make this very clear...

Contrary to some of the comments left on my last post, the historical significance of the Inauguration of our 44th President was not lost on me.

It never was.

And, although I don't need to defend myself, I will.

I watched coverage of the entire Inauguration yesterday with the same sense of joy and optimism that those of you who voted for Obama did. We needed change no matter what party was elected into office. As I said yesterday, I have lived in Northern Virginia for a long time, and I had never seen anything like this before. With tears welling up in my eyes, I had my 8 year old daughter watch Obama take oath and I, in fact, explained to her THE HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE of the ascendance of our first black President. We talked about Martin Luther King, Jr's speech and how neat it would have been for him to be alive to see his dream come true. And how, in fact, his dream isn't limited to black people only, but to all minorities. Including women. And yes, sweetie, someday, there will be a woman president. I explained to her that Mommy didn't vote for Obama because we have some fundamental differences of opinion; however, I also explained to her that Barack Obama is an intelligent man of honor and integrity and will probably do a good job. But most importantly, I told her that that we need to pray for him. Because we need him to succeed. He must succeed. Our country and our livelihood are at stake. I watched and listened to every word of his speech, and I thought it was sobering, en pointe, and excellent. He is truly a gifted speaker and made it known to the world, that he is in charge. And he looked the part.

Politics and religion are polarizing subjects, I realize that. But I take chances on my blog because, well, it's my blog, and this is my place for self-expression. I have always played nice with those I don't agree with, and I appreciate comments with differing opinions. There is a nice way of doing that which most of you did. BUT in case YOU were wondering, the snarky comment YOU deleted appeared in my in-box. So yeah, I saw it anyway.

I try to find the humor in EVERYTHING, and if you have read my blog long enough or know me in real life, that's what I do. The tone of my post yesterday is like most of my posts have been about this election...tongue in cheek. I poked fun at the cost of the inauguration without mentioning that 4 years ago, during a much more prosperous time, George Bush received alot of flack for the cost of his party. And it was alot less than $150 million.

So, no, the historical significance wasn't lost on me yesterday as I watched it unfold from the comfort of my warm home

and my own potty.

Peace.

post signature

25 Comments:

Kori said...

Oh Debbie I just adore you. And I love your "tonuge in cheek personality". I thought the post yesterday was very well said. Everybody is so uptight about the economy yet it's ok for to spend 100's of millions of dollars on a campaign and a big fancy party.

Ok I'm off my soap box now. Have a great day!

Lula! said...

I love that you are classy enough to "defend" yourself, even though you don't have to.

And I feel the exact same way. I'm also praying without ceasing...'cause while it's all I can do, it's also the most powerful thing I can do.

heather said...

Wasn't it so inspiring to watch!!?

Truly an amazing day and one so long in coming.

Melissa Lester said...

Debbie, I'm so glad you're back! I too appreciated the historical significance of the day. And even though Obama did not get my vote, he will certainly have my respect and prayers.

Elena said...

LOL! You crack me up. And yep, this is your blog, so you go ahead and say what you feel. I'm just glad you blogged again. You are coming back for Idol chat right?? Those are my very most favorite posts of yours.

Runner Girl said...

Well said, Debbie.

Jenni said...

I couldn't have said it better. It's good to have to back!

Gina said...

See, now, you just saved me the effort. When I feel the urge to climb on my soapbox, I'll just send the traffic your way.
Religion and politics ARE polarizing, but you should never have to apologise for who you are if you have class and manners.
And you can say whatever you want in your own blog. It's called the freedom of press.

Gombojav Tribe said...

You don't have to defend yourself at all, Debbie! If people insist on having no sense of humor let them live in their humorless world.

We love you, Debbie!!!

(btw, I watched the happenings yesterday, too. But, with no tears of joy or optimism--and I am African American!)

Unknown said...

HEY - you posted twice in 2 days.

What up wit dat?

I Love Purple More Than You said...

From the comfort of your own home... and your potty. I love it.

Unknown said...

True, true, true!


And totally agreeing with Lula, btw.

Courtney said...

you're so great with words. and so funny. and i know you were just adding some humor to a very big, important day! thanks for the laughs!

Tracy P. said...

BRAVO, Debbie! I'm sorry you felt attacked, but I'm so glad you wrote what you did about the inauguration. Those were my thoughts too, along with amazement that we live in a country where power can be transferred between heads of state from differing parties peacefully and graciously. Absolutely gives me goosebumps.

And yes, the rest of the people need to take notes on how to be gracious in their dissent as well. Glad you were willing to give them the lesson AND the example.

This Mom said...

Just ignore the SNARKY people. We love you for you.

Though I knew someone was going to do that. Let it just roll off your back.

Anonymous said...

First, I don't know what snarky means. Second, I don't know if you were talking about me, and yes, I did erase the comment because I figured it was a little too salty for your cute little blog and perhaps I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings once I gave it a second thought.

There is a great irony here, becuase my comment was meant to turn the camera angle a little bit, to be humorous if you will and you are now throwing a raging fit because people don't have a sense of humor. hmmmm...

This blog looks very different from yesterday's; perhaps just stand by your convictions and let people disagree. Sheesh...

Unknown said...

Good on you, Debbie and well said !!

My feelings was that, yes, it was a historic moment. However, it was also a very media, hyped up, historic moment. I just pray that people aren't going to be disapointed..

Now, what did you think of that yellow ... ooops ... lemon grass ... dress?

Despite all the clamour of praise from the media, I haven't talked to anybody IRL that liked it..

I liked the ball gown, but that might have been a little nicer if it had been lemon grass..

Swirl Girl said...

I whole heartedly agree with your last post and this one, too.

I think if 'new President - whomever was elected' REALLY wanted to make an impact on his first day - he'd have forgone the party and the wasteful spend as his first official act of business.

Then, fans could say he was Amazing and foes couldn't say anything bad at all.

I'm all for pomp and circumstance...but in light of our economic issues - I found it all a bit excessive and wasteful.

Aunt Julie said...

A friend of mine in DC decided to go down to the Mall and see what was going on. She and her friends got a spot near the Washington Monument. They had a couple of chances to move up, but the porta-potties kept getting in the way!

On a more somber note, I'm really rooting for Obama, too. He seems to take the job so seriously. And a thoughtful Prez is just what this country needs right now!

Connie said...

Oh Debbie, so glad to see you back. What a warm welcome from those who love you. I totally agree with you...the money spent was obscene. history or not. I am just tired of all the hoopla. Coins, plates, posters, what next- A VELVET BARACK? He is not a messiah or a savior, yet they seem to worship him like one. I TRULY hope he can do all that he has promised and turn our country around without compromising the respect of all nations. We can all hope and pray that God gives him divine wisdom to carry out the job to the best of his ability.

Anonymous said...

Debbie~

You are absolutely right with everything you said! You should not feel a bit bad about it!

It was pretty difficult not to be a little cynical when you are living in this area with a front row seat, so to speak.

It was just so over the top, in my opinion!

That said, it does not take away the historic significance of the day. I was glad my children were able to witness it and to see how our country comes together with a peaceful transfer of power.

I hope that our new President can keep us safe and bring peace and prosperity to this country.

Jennifer P. said...

Love when you just shoot from the hip, girl :)!

Britt said...

Debbie .. I love you .. and I think this world would be better with more Peace, Love, and Private Potties.

Oh, and cheeseburgers and chocolate. =-)

Jenners said...

These two posts and the dialogue you got going were interesting! Though I wish everyone would be respectful if they disagree and not be nasty. That is the whole point of 1) blogging and 2) America.

: )

Michelle said...

I'm sorry I did not get to catch up to your blog sooner, but WELL said, thanks for saying it so well.