Thursday, May 1, 2008

Are you smarter than a 5th Grader?

Apparently, I'm not. I just returned from volunteering in my daughter's 2nd grade class. One of my duties was to to pull books from the library for their A/R tests, and while I was there, the librarian was conducting a session with 5th graders. The topic was "palindromes" which are words that are spelled the same forward and backwards. I got the easy ones as I listened, but here are a couple that I never even considered as palindromes: kayak and Hannah. My simple mind went to the simple words, like Mom, Dad, tot, pop, etc. Then came the stumper for the kids and me (yes, while I was pulling books and totally eavesdropping):

Name a palindrome that describes government or citizenship?

I couldn't figure it out, neither could the kids. She wouldn't tell them either because she wanted them to figure it out together and tell her later. Of course, I couldn't stand it and had to know NOW. So I cheated and went to ask her the answer.

Do you know the answer?

Well now, we talk about all kinds of things here in my little slice of the blog world, don't we.
post signature

15 Comments:

docufyi said...

Got it :-)

Trish said...

Me Too!!
I Love palindromes!!

Jennifer said...

did you want the rest of us with average intelligence to actually write our guess?

I have a 5 letter one the starts with 'c' and was a class in HS.

Jennifer

ps you should do this once a week, it's fun to stretch my brain!

I still think you should play a game with the letters we ahve to type in to post.

Here's mine... yxpku

You xrayed Penelope's knee upsidedown. ...weak I know....

Meagan said...

I've got it, too, although I will confess that Jennifer's hint helped me out a bit! :)

Debbie said...

Jennifer...ooops that came out all wrong... It was more of an inside joke between my husband and I that's why I put that in. I have deleted that part of the post . :) I think I will do some kind of puzzle every week. I like that idea. Have any good ones???

Unknown said...

I can't figure it out. Of course that might be because I'm trying to play Clue AND read this at the same time! :-) I'm going to ask the hubs.

TTYS - Sniz

Runner Girl said...

My brain just won't think that way...so...I just wait for all of the really smart people to post their answers...only they're not!!!!! C'mon, people, post the answer already, would ya?

Connie said...

okay, I'm sorry to admit, I don't know the answer...but then again, I can't even recite the alphabet backwards...stone cold sober!
I have been reading your past entries and we have so much in common...right on down to the loving sports and having the Captain and Tenille album...Go Tiger beat (although I loved Donny Osmond more that Leif) Oh, and I love coffee, but diet coke is right up there as my #2 drink of choice.
Thanks for coming to my blog and giving me such encouraging words. I appreciate it. (Go Redwings!)

veronica said...

I am with you Kimberly! My mind does not think out of the box. Someone post the answer. Debbie, this will drive me nuts!!

Gina said...

I was going to peek and see if anyone would tell me- but then it popped into my head as the comments were loading. Lucky me, since no one told tha answer.
Here's one for you:
Madam, I'm Adam. You know, without the punctuation.

Anonymous said...

Let me ask my fifth grader... I'll get right back with you gals. :) ~Jill

EEEEMommy said...

I was stumped until the hint from Jennifer. I have to admit that I didn't remember what a palindrome was either. I wonder if my own 5th grader knows.

Kathi said...

You got me Debbie. I am totally stumped. You will have to tell us. I won't be able to sleep cause I'll be trying to guess all night.

Kathi

Emily said...

oh brother, I'm stumped.

paperjunk-lc said...

I think I must have had too much wine last night at supper club to attempt such heavy thinking this morning!