Wednesday, January 2, 2008

a spy among us

I went to college with a famous spy and never knew it. Well she wasn't a spy then, but she became one after graduating from Penn State in 1985, the same year I did. Her name: Valerie Plame...yeah, that Valerie Plame. I just found this out when I received my bimonthly alumni magazine, The Penn Stater, on Monday. She was on the cover....I was shocked....I never knew her or that she went to PSU, but I followed the story at the time it was in the press up through Scooter Libby's conviction...When I read the article, all I kept thinking was "Wow!" someone who lived in the dorm next to me and was probably in one of my large freshman year classes in the Forum (my PSU pals will remember that) and is in my yearbook looking like the rest of us did in the 80's, was a real life spy. I love that stuff. The article chronicled her life and how she got involved with the CIA up to where her name was leaked as a CIA operative in an alleged retaliative strike against her husband after he had written a NY Times opinion piece criticizing the Bush administration for exaggerating the Iraqi threat. Wow, that is her day to day life! Her work involves national leaders and national security....mine well, it involves mundane living and blogging about it...which at the end of the day I'll take...as long as I can still read about spies....

2 Comments:

Ron said...

I had also read somewhere recently that she attended Penn State at the same time we were there. I do not miss those early morning walks across parking lot 80 to the Forum.

Hope you got a chance to watch yet another Penn State bowl victory last Friday.

Debbie said...

Hi Ying! Of course, I was front and center on Saturday night watching our beloved Nittany Lions rip it up in San Antonio...Long Live Joepa!