Wednesday, November 7, 2007

shell shocked

Today we had a follow up doctor appointment to make sure Lindsey's strep cleared. I made the appointment upon the recommendation of the other doctor that made the inappropriate comments a week or so ago...only I made it with the only doctor in the practice that I really trust. At the end of the appointment I decided that I was going to bring up "the conversation" I had with the other doctor. We sent the kids to the waiting room and then I proceeded to tell her the whole conversation emphasizing that I really was uncomfortable with it because I wanted Lindsey to hear it about on my terms. I was basically told "so what." The quote from her was "Does she go to a public school?" "Yes," I replied...."Well then she is already learning about it in their curriculum." I told her that the second grade Family Life Education does not include that topic because I have read through the material...she disagreed...She literally shrugged her shoulders, said nothing, and looked as me as if to say, "sorry I can't help you" and did not make any apologies or express any understanding about the way I felt. I left humiliated and shaking and on the verge of tears...she completely missed the point about how inappropriate the conversation was...so I have my answer...we are leaving the practice.

2 Comments:

veronica said...

I am sorry to hear you got that reaction. I will say I love my practice and have been there for ten years. It is not always the most convenient but I have always felt comfortable there and my kids love all of the doctors. We go to South Riding Pediatrics. Dr. John Farrell is the owner and I love him. He has kids that are Meghan and Tim's age. He is young and gets it. Hope this helps.

Debbie said...

Thanks Veronica...I am so upset that I cannot even concentrate on anything right now. I was stunned, I mean stunned that she didn't even express an "I understand." I was basically, get over it...She really left me high and dry and I was humiliated. She was the only reason I would have stayed...not now...