Monday, September 24, 2007

whew...that was a close one...

Remember last week when I told you that I bought two nightstands for our bedroom?What I didn't tell you is that I bought them from Bombay Company and that one of them was on back order until November. Ordinarily that would not be a big deal or a problem...unless the store you bought them from is going to declare bankruptcy and is looking for a new buyer ASAP! Yup. On Friday, Bombay announced they are in financial trouble. When I found this out I realized, hmmm, I am never going to get that other nightstand and will probably be out my money if Bombay does go down the tubes...So, I called the store to ask if there was possibly any other inventory anywhere that I could drive to to get that other nightstand...Nope. Nada. So then I asked if I could have the one in the window display....the guy said "No, we don't sell the window displays," but then he asked me to hold. The manager came back on to tell me that they needed to clear out their window displays for holiday merchandise so, yes, they would sell me the display...it was new out of the box so there hadn't been a million people touching it or strollers running into it...I asked if I could come get it pronto (because I wasn't going to relax until I had that thing in my possession)...they willingly obliged, pulled it out of the window, wrapped it in foamy stuff, and put it in the back of my Tahoe all within 45 minutes of me making that call. The nightstand was in mint condition...so it was meant to be. I think they sold it to me because they knew they had my money and weren't going to be able to fulfill that back order...it was better PR to to head off any problems and sell me what they had...as a matter of fact, the first thing the manager said when I called about my order was that the salesperson who sold it to me in the first place never should have promised the back order item...I never once mentioned that I knew they were declaring bankruptcy...I'm just glad I got it not only sooner than expected but that I got it all. Whew...

2 Comments:

Courtney said...

how did you hear they were about to declare bankrupcy?? wow! crazy!

Debbie said...

My sister told me when i mentioned that i bought the night stands from Bombay...then i googled it and found all kinds of articles about it...