Friday, May 18, 2007

i am not a happy camper

Some quotes from a book being read to Lindsey's first grade class:

Junie B. Jones and her Big Fat Mouth

"I made a fist at him. "How'd you like me to bash your brains in, you big fat Jim?"

"Only I hate that dumb guy."

"I do act like a little lady, you dumb bunny Lucille! And don't say that again, or I'll knock you on your can"

"only this stupid ant bited me. And so I had to drop a rock on his head."


And,yes, there is more...This is so wrong on so many levels. I don't even know what to do. This book should not be read to these kids. Sigh.

I guess I should just take comfort in the fact that Lindsey knows these words and this content are not edifying. But, there are other kids in her class that I can tell you are going to think "Wow, we read that in school today it must be ok." Ugh. This is why before my kids leave for school EVERY SINGLE day, I pray over them, and we pray together. I pray for blessings on their day, that a veil of protection will be over them and the school, that Jesus will roam the hallways even though He is technically not permitted to be there (eye roll), that He will close their eyes and ears to the things He doesn't want them to hear and open them to the things He does...and we also give thanks for our wonderful school and the teachers willing to teach. Because we feel led to stay in the public schools at this time, all I can do is pray...and speak up when necessary.

6 Comments:

Courtney said...

oh, debbie, i'm praying with you!

veronica said...

Parts of me agree that Junie B is not a great choice of read aloud. I would suggest maybe bringing in another option for the teacher. There are plenty of other options. Express your concerns! Bring in other options.

Debbie said...

Thanks for the advice, Veronica. I am defintely going to say something. I am just disturbed that she selected this particular book. Why not something from Cam Jansen, Nancy Drew, Magic Tree House?

veronica said...

I completely agree!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I have baned Junie B Jones books in my house. Kristen knows why we don't like them and told her teacher she is not allowed to read them. So far we haven't had any issues at school. She has been assigned Magic Tree House books for reading groups, I love those!!!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,
You can speak up to Lindsey's teacher to make your displeasure known. Since you already also talk to Lindsey about what are appropriate words and those which are not, you can use the book as an example of trash mouth children talk and that it is not acceptable.

You are proactive in Lindsey and Kyle's lives and are teaching them the love of Jesus, godly principles, patriotism,and all manner of character building which will strengthen both their ability to make good choices in life. Unfortunately, our world is inundated with so much secularism but we can fight back.

Love Mom