Wednesday, May 16, 2007

all things eternal

Ok there are days when I just know the Lord is trying to get my attention:

Sunday:
The message at church opened up with the following quote from our pastor

"There is nothing better in life than to invest yourself completely in something that is eternal."

Tuesday:

My friend Courtney posted a great quote on her blog from one of my all time favorite evangelical authors and speakers, Chuck Swindoll:

"You have never lived the seven days in front of you, and you will never live them again. Life is like a coin. Spend it any way you want to, but you can spend it only once."


Today I read this on my daily devotional:

"Heavenly Father, Please give me the ability to see things as You see them. Help me to understand the importance of eternal things, and remind me not to focus so much energy on temporal things. May I be diligent in my home, yet more faithful to nurture the most important part of my home...my family. Amen"



Sometimes the Lord just needs to hit us square in the face with things so that we don't get complacent. You see, I think I have an eternal perspective in all that I do, but I must say I have been convicted over the last few days about how I spend my time. Quite frankly, I can sum it up this way: As a mother, I find that I get so caught up in the day to day and everything that needs to get done that I don't take the time to focus on the daily things that really matter. Getting things done generally takes priority over spending more time playing with my kids, spending alone time with Bob, and sadly, spending more quiet time with the Lord. It is easy to say that this is my station in life and that God will understand, but He didn't intend for it to be this way. I need a better balance. I realize now that every day when I wake up, I need to be giving the day up to HIM and asking HIM how he wants me to spend it....I just need to listen to what HE says instead of busying my brain with the list of things that need to get done.

Heavenly Father, I ask you for help in this area...that you will help me to better balance my time with the things that need to get done to live versus the things that need to get done to really live, forever with you. In Jesus name, I pray.

3 Comments:

Courtney said...

amen, debbie!

Courtney said...

ok, i'm back. i had to read it again. i'm praying "your" prayer for myself today...thanks for your honesty! it's such a challenge...this thing called "life."

Debbie said...

Hi Courtney, ya know there are times when God really is just trying to get your attention. After I read that devotional yesterday, I just stopped and said "I get it...I get it" Writing about it helps me to process it and keep accountable. This is going to have to be a daily effort...because my tendency is to see results...in my mind that only happens by getting things done....