Sunday, February 17, 2008

So here's the deal...

For the last month or so, I have been wanting to change the look of my blog. While the blogger developers have created a "nifty" little tool for computer dummies like me, they lacked imagination in developing templates. In my opinion, the template sets the tone of the blog, and it is hard to give it character with their selection. (Seriously, one them is named Mr. Moto. What's that about?) So, I tried to fool around with colors, fonts, etc., but at the end of the day, the only way I was going to get what I wanted was to find someone who really knew HTML. I wasn't even looking for someone with a design eye...I just wanted someone to hack into blogger and make it pretty. Enter, Darcy, from Graphically Designing (see cool link to her site in the sidebar.) I serendipitiously found her through another blog I started reading just last week. Not only does she know HTML, she is a designer and has the eye that really makes things come alive. I was so excited because I really liked her work on other blogs she had done. Psst! She doesn't know this, but it took me over two days to get up the courage to email her and ask her if she would redesign my blog. When I finally pulled the trigger, I gave her my full name and where I lived and told her I wasn't a crazy lady. And guess what? She bought it (ha!) and replied to my email! I was pumped. She asked me what I wanted. I saw a header she had for sale on her site and told her that was exactly what I had visualized in my head, colors and all. Voila! The next day, there, in a test blog, was the beginning of a masterpiece. For most of Saturday afternoon, she was on her computer in the midwest while I sat here at my computer where I could see her make changes live. We emailed back and forth for HOURS...and I have to say, I couldn't be happier with the process or the end result. She made my vision a reality, and I love it. Moral of the story, if you have a blog and want something custom, check out Darcy's work. She is easy to work with, professional, and lots of fun...and tell her I sent you ;).

Now for the name change. I had also been thinking that I wanted to change the name for awhile. I just didn't have any clarity about what it should be. I wanted it to be illustrative of my family, the Christian life, funny things, finding humor in the mundane, storytelling, music, pictures...you get the idea. I mentioned to Lindsey last week that I wanted to change the name, and she looks at me, I kid you not, and says "Mommy, what about "This is the Life?" I just looked at her in AWE. She gets it...She totally gets what this little hobby is about for me. I didn't even explain it to her...she just knew. Why is it that a 7 year old has such clarity about something as abstract as a blog name, and I didn't? It was brilliant...so I ran with it...and I love it, because it really is the essence of my little hobby...This IS the Life, and it's the one I've always wanted to live...

So that's the story...Thanks for coming along on this ride with me thus far....Stay tuned...and let me know what you think..

post signature

8 Comments:

Julie said...

Debbie, I love it. It is really fun and artsy. Something I would do and it looks great. I am glad you like it...that is the most important!!!

veronica said...

I do love it! Who knows maybe I'll be inspired to start my own blog.

Jennifer P. said...

It looks great! I dig her work too! And doesn't it feel great to have something that's really YOU?!
Great job to you for having the idea, and Darcy for carrying it out!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, it's wonderful and really is the Life you and I always prayed for you.

Love Mom

The Nester said...

Debbie!

Your blog looks so wonderful! love,love the colors! doncha just love Darcy!

Why does jennifer p. always beat me to everything?

Debbie said...

Veronica! Thank you so much for taking the time to go to Darcy's blog to compliment her. That was so sweet of you. I think you should go for it girl...start one today!!! You have kids, funny stories, and a computer...that's all you need!

Tracey said...

Debbie, I am doing my best not to be jealous of your gorgeous blog and thus become dissatisfied with my own. I also don't have the energy to spend a whole day customizing it with Darcy. Do you think she could just pick something and put it up for me to yah or nay? I am so lazy.

Debbie said...

T...if you go to her Graphically Designing site, you will see headers that she has done that you can buy. She will upload them...or if you have something else in mind, ask her...she is really good at taking what you want and making it look like what you had in your head.