Friday, April 13, 2007

What does the song mean?

My sweet husband has some thoughts about the song "How to Save a Life."

From Bob:

They really did a great job with this song at Conversations (our church Easter production). FYI - you can find the lyrics to the song at: http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/fray_the_lyrics_4598/
how_to_save_a_life_lyrics_14947/
how_to_save_a_life_lyrics_173571.html

As to the meaning of the song . . .
According to lead singer and songwriter Isaac Slade, the song was composed and influenced by his experience while working as a mentor at a camp for troubled teens. Slade claims that the song is about all of the people that tried to reach out to the boy but were unsuccessful. The singer laments that he himself was unable to save a friend because he did not know how.
So while this was written generically about how to reach out to people in need, it clearly strikes a chord for Christians. One of the ways it struck my heart is how at times I struggle to witness to people (i.e. save a life). I think about the stories from conversations, so many different situations, and so many different ways that God enters our lives. At times, I feel ill-equipped to witness in every situation. How do I witness to my Catholic family? How do I witness to lost co- workers? The human side of me feels inadequate not having all the answers and not always being successful. But of course, I know God is in control.
Some of the lessons for me are:
- Prayer: Prayer keeps me focused that I don’t have to do it myself. I don’t need all the answers.
- Obedience: I pray that I listen to how God wants to use me as a witness and that I obey when He presents me with opportunities.
- Comfort: I have comfort in the fact that God is in control and will always equip me with the necessary tools to carry out His plan. All I have to do is obey and great things will happen.

The more I listen and read the lyrics there are other apsects of the song that resonate. Maybe my next post :-)

Bob

1 Comments:

Courtney said...

thanks, Bob! awesome thoughts!