Sunday, April 22, 2007

It was inevitable...

I never turn the news on when the kids are home because I don't want them to see all the images of the war, stories of murders, robberies and rapes, children shot in D.C. or of images of a killer who massacred 32 other people at a university that they could someday attend because it is one of our best state schools. For the last week, I have been vigilant about keeping the newspaper out of sight and of not discussing anything about Va. Tech with my husband in front of them. However, Friday happened and the entire metro area was adorned in orange and maroon. I mean it was everywhere. It was really a sight to behold, and I was all for the support. I didn't wear Tech colors cause I just don't have anything maroon and orange. Lindsey didn't say anything about it after school Friday; however, today after church the inevitable question came. In front of one of the nearby neighborhoods we drove past, there were two large placards with VT painted on them. Lindsey finally asked Bob and I why those placards were displayed and why everyone was wearing ribbons and Va Tech shirts at school on Friday. You know what I did and would do a thousand times over and over? I lied. I flat out lied to her and told her that everyone was celebrating the Hokie football teams and basketball teams for doing so well this year. She seemed satisfied with that answer, and I was glad to have the question done with. She doesn't need to know the truth. She is a deep thinking six-year old that, if she were to know the truth, would think about it and try to comprehend something that even the "grown-ups" cannot comprehend. There will come a day when we have to tell her about Sept 11, 2001 and April 16, 2007. But for now, she doesn't need to know about the fallen world we live in...that not everyone lives in the idyllic community and family that she does and that not everyone believes in the God that she loves so much. I will have to explain to her why God does allow tragedies like this...that He is grieving as much as we are...but that He is in control and will use this for His divine purposes even though we don't see or understand it all now. Right now, on this day, all she needs to worry about is who she is inviting to her birthday party next month...

0 Comments: